This Week’s Games
3:30 – 7th Grade Flag Football vs. Dana Middle School (Away)
3:30 – 7th Grade Girls Volleyball vs. Dana Middle School (Away)
More Wins for the Tiger Cubs Last Week
8th grade Flag Football: W, 52-14 vs. First Avenue Middle School
8th grade Girls Volleyball: W, 28-26, 25-22 vs. First Avenue Middle School
Spotlight on Cross Country
In the scorching heat of a late September afternoon, the South Pasadena Middle School cross country team competed in their first meet of the season at Lacy Park. The runners finished strong against eight local middle school teams, placing 3rd or higher in each of 4 races. The Varsity Boys placed 2nd overall, the Varsity Girls placed 1st overall, the Boy’s JV (6th and 7th grade) placed 3rd overall, and the Girls JV (6th and 7th grade) placed 2nd overall. The teams competed against 8 other local middle schools, including La Canada, Foothills, Dana, Clifton, and Huntington Middle School.
The Girls’ Varsity team was particularly strong, sweeping their race with a 1 – 5 finish. Cayna Ghaly lead the Varsity girls with a first-place finish of 8:18, followed in the next 30 seconds by Anna Kowal, Raden Estridge, Rose Vandevelde, and Olivia Chin. The clean 1-5 place sweep guaranteed a South Pas victory for the Varsity girls. “We stuck together as a team,” Rose Vandevelde said while reflecting on the win. Indeed, this team looks like a strong contender for league finals coming up at the end of October.
The 8th Grade Boys varsity team also ran strong, with 8th graders Andy Yang and Kai Tilley finishing in 4th and 6th places, respectively. Raquel Gerakos and Emi Nakamura, both 7th-grade girls running on the JV team, finished impressively in 4th and 9th place respectively. And finally, David Kemper and Dylan Jones led the JV boys with top 10 finishes at 4th place and 10th place, respectively.
The team will compete next on October 15th in the Mt. Sac Invitational, the biggest cross country race in the nation. The month will culminate in League Finals, which will be a re-match of this recent meet at Lacy Park. South Pas cross country will be ready to compete! Go Tigers!
We Still Need Members!
If you haven’t joined yet, please do. To keep our competitive sports funded and running all year, we need your support.
7th/8th Grade Intramurals Begin Wednesday 10/6
Special Thank you to…
* Michelle Downing *
* Emilia Aldana *
* Aldana Chiropractic *
for doubling their sponsorships this year, helping to launch Intramurals for 7th and 8th grades.
WHEN: Mondays and Wednesdays from 2:45 – 4:00 starting Wednesday, October 5th.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO?
- Fill out a permission form.
- Just show up! BUT….Students must NOT attend if they have even the slightest cold symptoms.
- JOIN BOOSTERS!! We received support from generous donors to make this happen, but we still need your support to continue it! Become a member today and help support the continuation of all our programs! (Booster Membership not required for participation, but highly encouraged!!)
* No need to let us know if your student will miss a session.
* Students do not have to attend all days.
* Students may participate in all sports or only in sports that interest them.
* You only need to sign the permission slip once for the year
* Please keep your student home if he/she/they have any signs of illness.
FAQ’s: Click HERE